Ubuntu install instructions
From Tekkotsu Wiki
This article is about installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a workstation or netbook. (For backward compatibility you can use the Ubuntu 12.04 install instructions.) You must install Ubuntu before you can install Tekkotsu. The current release of Tekkotsu is configured for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and is not guaranteed to work with other releases (except for 12.04 LTS, which was our previous standard), so it is strongly recommended that you stick with the 14.04 release even when later ones become available. We will upgrade to the next LTS (Long Term Support) release when it comes out.
1. Download an Ubuntu Linux ISO file from the Ubuntu download page. If you are installing on a 64 bit machine you must use the 64-bit Desktop edition; for a 32 bit machine, use the 32-bit Desktop edition. Follow the instructions on the download page for making an install CD or thumb drive.
2. Boot your machine from the install CD or thumb drive. If you're using an ASUS netbook, hit the Escape key (not F2) during boot, and tell the BIOS to boot off the thumb drive. Go through the normal installation process; you don't need to modify any of the defaults. If you're building a "standard" Tekkotsu robot, specify the user name "Tekkotsu User", the userid "user", and any password you like. Reboot the machine after installation completes.
3. If you're installing Tekkotsu on an ASUS netbook, follow the special ASUS install instructions to handle some hardware quirks.
Once you have networking set up, the following commands should be performed in a terminal window:
4. Apply system software updates:
sudo -s apt-get update update-manager
Ask the update manager to update all packages. This will take a while.
5. Basic package installation.
sudo -s apt-get update apt-get -y remove brltty openjdk-6-* apt-get -y install cvs build-essential openjdk-7-jdk libjinput-java apt-get -y install sox libasound2-dev libjpeg-dev libpng12-dev libreadline-dev libxml2-dev libncurses5-dev
You also need to install Java3D in order to use Tekkotsu's 3D SketchGUI.
cd /tmp if [ `uname -m` == "x86_64" ]; then wget http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.5.2/j3d-1_5_2-linux-amd64.zip else wget http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.5.2/j3d-1_5_2-linux-i586.zip fi unzip j3d*zip rm -f j3d*zip cd j3d* unzip j3d-jre.zip sudo cp -p lib/*/libj3dcore-ogl.so /usr/lib
6. Perl and Ruby packages: Perl package installation (required for Tekkotsu state machine compiler): hit Enter once to accept all offered defaults. If you mess this up, you can reset CPAN by deleting the file /etc/perl/CPAN/Config.pm or the directory ~/.cpan.
perl -MCPAN -e "install Parse::RecDescent" # Select "sudo" when warned about not having privileges to write Perl libraries
Ruby package installation (required for the WorldBuilder tool):
apt-get -y install ruby gem install plist treetop
7. Set up .profile, .bashrc, and cvs files:
su user cd wget http://Chiara-Robot.org/download/dot-profile mv dot-profile .profile wget http://Chiara-Robot.org/download/dot-bashrc mv dot-bashrc .bashrc wget http://Chiara-Robot.org/download/dot-cvsrc mv dot-cvsrc .cvsrc cat /dev/null >~/.cvspass source .profile source .bashrc mkdir -p ~/.config/gtk-3.0 cd ~/.config/gtk-3.0 wget http://Chiara-Robot.org/download/gtk.css
8. Raise the system memory lock limit (eliminates annoying error message when running Tekkotsu).
sudo -s echo @user - memlock 1024 >>/etc/security/limits.conf
9. See the article on Editing Code for instructions on setting up text editor config files. At the very least, set up the vim and gedit config files as specified.
11. Finally, proceed to the Tekkotsu install instructions.
When cloning a hard drive with Clonezilla, the grub boot loader will not be installed properly, and the machine will not be able to boot. Solution:
- Boot the machine from an Ubuntu flash drive or CD.
- Run System > Administration > Boot Repair
- Select the Advanced Options, and in the Main Options tab, set the boot menu display time to 1 second.
- In the Other Options tab, disable bootinfo summary and statistics participation.
- Click on "Apply".